Anxious? Looking for natural anxiety treatment solutions instead of drugs? Here’s what to look for.
According to Edward Bourne, author of The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, an effective program must address 3 levels – physical, behavioral and psychological. It must help you reduce your physical reactions, improve your mental responses to those reactions (what you say to yourself) and help you stop avoiding situations that you’ve avoided in the past because of anxiety.
Jon has been involved with holistic healing for over 40 years. In 1973, he help start, and was the first director of, one of the first holistic health centers in the US, in San Diego California. He now focused on creating programs for personal awakening and healing, particularly those that help people transform their stuck feelings.
As a therapist, meditation teacher and retreat leader Jon developed this natural anxiety treatment protocol to help clients work through fear, anxiety and panic.
The program focuses on helping clients get rid of their discomfort and goes further than most approaches to help clients discover the gifts hidden inside anxiety and other uncomfortable feelings. For more on those gifts go to Your Anxiety is Telling You Something.
Jon's full biography is available here.
It consists of 6-10 1.25 hour sessions plus an optional weekend retreat. Several components of this program are unique and not offered elsewhere.
Clients practice the skills they learn between sessions and report on their effectiveness. Here are the key components:
1. Relaxation training to reduce body reactions and stress, and improve sleep. Jon uses a variety of approaches including progressive muscle relaxation, Autogenics, imagery and breathing exercises.
2. A unique awareness/meditation training called The STAR Experience that mobilizes the body’s own healing resources.
3. Psychological tools for relieving discomfort, changing distorted beliefs and reducing negative self talk.
4. Assertiveness and self esteem building skill developmenet.
5. A unique form of energy healing bodywork called Consciousness Clearing.
Clients are also encouraged to develop a regular aerobic exercise schedule and focus on healthy eating.
Jon recommends a Grief, Loss and Other Difficult Emotions Retreat for all his clients. These 3-4 day retreats help clients find the gifts within their discomfort, by transforming stuck feelings such as anxiety, fear, sadness and anger. For more on how the retreats work with anxiety go to Finding The Gift in Anxiety.
Jon Terrell works in Northampton, Massachusetts and New York City. You can reach him through the form below. He offers retreats in New England and Florida.